Javed Akhtar ‘Appalled’ by Bollywood’s Silence on ‘Bulli Bai App’, Haridwar Hate Speech

Bollywood lyricist Javed Akhtar said that he is ‘appalled’ by Bollywood’s silence on the hate speech held at a ‘Dharam Sansad’ in Haridwar and ‘Bulli Bai’ app where the pictures of nearly a hundred Muslim women were misused.

Javed Akhtar took to Twitter, saying, “There is an online auction of hundred women There are so-called Dharm Sansads, advising the army the police n the people to go for the genocide of almost 200 MLN Indians. I am appalled with everyone‘s silence including my own n, particularly of The PM. Is this Sub ka Saath ?”

Reacting to the hate speeches delivered against Muslims in Haridwar, veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah had earlier said, “The first reaction was anger. What is happening here is a concerted attempt to make Muslims feel insecure.”

“He (Prime Minister) genuinely doesn’t care. At least you can’t accuse him of being a hypocrite, that he is expressing remorse for something he doesn’t care about. He half-heartedly apologized to the farmers, but it was an insincere apology. And there’s not a word of chastisement for these people (who threatened genocide),” Naseeruddin Shah told The Wire when asked about the Prime Minister’s silence on the matter, adding that in fact, he (PM) follows them on Twitter.

Hate Speech Assembly

A three-day conclave organized by Hindutva leader Yati Narsinghanand was held in Haridwar from 17-19 December. During the assembly, several Hindutva leaders delivered hate speeches, calling for the genocide of minorities including multiple calls to incite violence against them.

The Uttarakhand police had registered an FIR in the Haridwar hate speech case against Wasim Rizvi alias Jitendra Narayan Tyagi and others under the IPC section 153A on December 23, while Narasimhanand and Sindhu Sagar were consequently added to the FIR.

‘Bulli Bai’ Case

Unknown people misused pictures of nearly 100 Muslim women on an app named ‘Bulli Bai’ hosted by GitHub. This comes just months after the ‘Sulli Deals’ row. A Delhi-based journalist, whose photo was also misused, registered a complaint with the Delhi Police and an FIR was registered by the Cyber Police (South East Delhi).

The Mumbai police have detained a 21-year-old man from Bengaluru in the ‘Bulli Bai’ case, who will be produced before a court on 4 January.

Related

Latest Indian news

Popular Stories

Latest Video