Kerala: 5-Year-Old Girl Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba

A 5-year-old girl died of an amoeba, which is rarely found in polluted water and damages the human brain, in Malappuram district of Kerala today.

A 5-year-old girl, who was admitted and receiving treatment at the health center of Kallikote Medical College under Munniyur Panchayat of Malappuram district, died on Monday (May 20).

According to medical experts, live amoeba bacteria, which is not a parasite that causes brain damage, enter the girl’s nose through contaminated water and damage the girl’s brain.

On May 1 and 10, she played in the pond near her house. Sources said that symptoms like fever, headache, and vomiting appeared later.

After being admitted to the hospital, the girl was kept on a ventilator but was unresponsive to treatment. A few other children were also playing in the pool where the girl was playing and were also kept under medical check-up. After that, the children were discharged from the hospital as no brain-damaging diseases were found.

Live amoeba disease causing brain damage was reported in Alappuzha district in 2017 and 2023.

Fever, headache, vomiting, and sneezing are the main symptoms of this disease. Live amoeba bacteria enter the nasal cavity and feed on the brain. Death is more likely after the amoeba enters the brain in most cases, except with emergency medical treatment.

Latest Indian news

Popular Stories

Latest Video