The Madrasa was built in 1472 by Mahmud Gawan, the Prime Minister of Bahamani Dynasty (1458-1481). This Madrasa was once a major center for learning with free accommodation for about 1000 students. Students used to study theology, philosophy, astronomy, mathematics, Arabic and Persian. Most of the students were foreigners. It housed a library with 3000 books, a mosque, lecture halls, Professor’s quarters and students’ cubicles.